Thursday, February 16, 2012

Complicated

It's been quite a week in my adoption world. To say adoption/open adoption can be complicated seems like the understatement of the century right now. I don't feel comfortable blogging about much of what's going on. While I am involved and it's all directly or indirectly adoption-related, it's not about me.

Open adoption can draw you into relationships that extend far beyond the one with your child. There are birth parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts and uncles, step- and half- relatives. It can draw you into family dynamics, some dysfunctional, that can involve mental and physical illness and trauma. I've never been sure if I believe that everything happens for a reason, but the events of this week have made me wonder if the universe pulled me toward Lily for more than one reason. 

My involvement and my desire to help has been completely voluntary. I know there are people who would tell me I am going too far in trying to help, but I don't care. At the end of the day, I have to do what I feel is right, and turning the other cheek on people I love just isn't an option for me. I know I can't fix everything. I know that my help won't necessarily make things better in the short-term or the long-term. But Lily's family is my family, and that's the only thing that seems simple right now.

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything has calmed down. Family is family. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete