Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Under One Roof

Adoption agencies tell prospective adoptive parents that open adoption doesn't mean we'll all be living together as one family. It doesn't mean that first parents will show up on our front doorsteps asking to move it. We laugh nervously, not sure how to envision the hypothetical open adoption. We wonder how all the members of the triad fit together, especially when we involve multiple extended families.

Almost three years into our very open adoption -- one that has unfolded in ways I never could have imagined as a prospective adoptive parent -- Lily's first mother asked if she could live with us temporarily. I was hesitant to tell the outside world. I knew our decision to say "yes" wouldn't be understood or well-received by a lot of people. Ultimately, that didn't really matter to me. What mattered was being there for Fiona.

Fiona needed a place to live. I won't go into the details that led Fiona to that point. That's not my story to tell. But one can imagine that the circumstances were not good.

So what is it like to like to have your daughter's first mother live with you for five weeks? In some ways, it was oddly normal. There were many times when it felt no different than having a sister or close friend live with us. There were a lot of laughs. Can't breathe kind of laughs. It was comfortable. It was really nice.

Sometimes it was emotionally draining. Those who live it know that open adoption can be simple and complicated in the very same moment. There were nights when I cried by myself. I think I may have sprouted a few more gray hairs.

I learned a lot about Fiona, and in turn learned a lot about my daughter. We met Lily for the first time when we picked her up from the hospital when she was one day old. I knew very little about what had transpired up until that point. Now I know a lot. And as painful as it is to know, I'm glad I do. I still believe that it's better to know the truth, no matter what that truth might be.

Living with us also gave Fiona a chance to bond with Lily in a way that she hadn't been able to in the past. I saw her become more relaxed and comfortable around her daughter. Lily's love for Fiona grew, too. That was a huge positive.

Fiona and I became closer friends. We know more about each other. We're more trusting of one another. We know that we have each other's back, even (and especially) when times get tough.

I certainly am not advocating that every adoptive and first family move in together. What I am left with is this -- open adoption and the relationships that form within it are no different than those formed in other aspects of life. Only time will tell how those relationships evolve. Everything is on the table. There are no universal rules.

Not many understand the fact that I have willingly invested myself in Fiona's life, and that does continue to bother me. No one would question me if I told them that my mother, sister, brother, aunt, cousin, close friend, etc., etc. was living with us temporarily.

Although I told only close family and friends about the situation, I received several "Won't that confuse Lily?" comments. Why would nearly three-year-old Lily be confused that her very sweet and loving birthmother was staying with us for a few weeks? To Lily, right now Fiona is another person in her life who loves her to pieces. I don't get it. They don't get it.

I still have so much to learn about adoption and its impact. As unusually close as we are with Fiona and several members of her extended family, we still have never met Nate's extended family. They don't even know about Lily. That continues to really bother me, too.

I believe I will look back at our five weeks with Fiona as another turning point in our open adoption -- one that brought us closer and solidified our union as "family."

10 comments:

  1. You are exactly right. Why would you treat your child's birth mother any differently than another member of your family?

    If only the entire world could understand that it is entirely possible to love EVERYONE, and defined roles are not required, especially for children.

    I am standing here in front of my computer applauding you for doing the right thing, despite what might be perceived as odd by those outside of your walls.

    You have never made a wrong decision if you choose to show love and compassion to someone. No matter the outcome.

    You obviously get it. Open adoption is based entirely on love.

    HOORAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I once read that you can choose to approach open adoption with love or with fear, and it always feels right when I choose love. The negative comments I receive always seem to be rooted in some kind of fear. I follow your blog and only wish that your daughter's parents could AT THE VERY LEAST communicate with you about their feelings. My heart really goes out to you. The irony is that we were matched with Fiona and Nate fairly randomly -- by an agency that does few domestic adoptions but happened to get involved in ours. We didn't even meet Fiona and Nate until a week after Lily was placed with us, and on paper I'm not sure we would have made a "good match." There are so many unknowns in adoption, something I didn't fully appreciate until I was in one. Thanks again for your comment - I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about it before but I think you're right - that negative comments seemed to be rooted in fear.

    It's really great that you were able to help your daughter's birthmom out when she needed a place to stay. Even though you mentioned there were a few 'grey hair' kind of moments, it sounds like it was a really good opportunity to get to know her better and for you daughter to have time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thank you so much for sharing. I love hearing stories of these deep connections of love and faith. It is amazing what we can learn and how we can grow when we release fear and embrace love! Your daughter and her birth mother are lucky to have a family like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story ... those outside of the relationships in an open adoption don't always understand the relationship and love involved family is family whether you share DNA or not and in my honest opinion helping family is always the right thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I once read that you can choose to approach open adoption with love or with fear, and it always feels right when I choose love."

    That quote is wonderful! And you are wonderful, for choosing love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for your kind comments. This is the wonderful thing about blogging -- being able to connect with other people who "get it." I found myself getting very defensive when a few "well-meaning" family members accused me of confusing (or potentially confusing) my daughter by having such a close relationship with her first family. It's so true that people on the outside of open adoption (not all, but a lot) simply can't wrap their heads around it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I featured this post on my blog as a VIP (Very Important Post) from the month of April.

    http://writemindopenheart.com/2012/05/vips-very-important-posts-april-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I knew it must have been mentioned somewhere because I got a number of comments, and I usually don't receive many. Your blog is one of the first ones I started reading after we adopted Lily. I'm so thankful that you shared your experiences because it really helped shaped mine. It is quite an honor for me to be mentioned on your blog.

      Delete
    2. My pleasure. This is a wonderful post. I'm glad the mention brought you some more readers and comments.

      Delete